The transmission of a vehicle is one of its most important components. This system requires proper care to ensure it remains operational for as long as possible. Typically, an automatic transmission will last for 100,000 to 200,000 miles. It is imperative owners are aware of the common problems that may occur with their transmissions. Knowing the signs to look for will help owners to know when their transmissions need service.
Top Transmission Problems and the Symptoms They Cause
Owners need to make sure they pay careful attention to their vehicles and the way they perform. Should any of the following signs be noticed, it will be time to take the vehicle in for a transmission check and repairs. Waiting too long could leave an owner stranded on the side of the road.
- When a transmission is operating normally, it should shift smoothly between gears. When the transmission begins grinding or shaking while changing gears, this is a problem that should not be ignored. Often, this will only happen when one of the gears is changing. This signals damage has occurred to that gear and needs to be repaired right away.
- Owners may notice their vehicle does not respond at all or there is a delay in engagement when the vehicle is put into gear. There should be no hesitation when an owner puts their car into reverse or drive. This could be caused by a lack of transmission fluid or by a computer problem. Both issues are fairly easy to resolve.
- Sometimes, owners will notice a whining, clunking, or humming noise coming from their transmissions. These are sounds that should never be ignored. These noises could be due to transmission fluid problems or something worse. It is best to bring the vehicle to a transmission technician and have it checked.
- Should an owner notice a burning smell coming from the transmission, they need to have it checked. Low transmission fluid levels or degraded quality can both cause this problem. Changing the transmission fluid is important for improving the way the transmission operates.
- When an owner finds their vehicle is slipping out of gear and losing traction during driving, this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed right away. This means there is a problem with the computer system or the gears have become worn. This dangerous issue needs to be repaired immediately.
Schedule a Transmission Check Today
If you have noticed any of the above, your transmission needs to be serviced. Transmission issues can range from minor to severe. Continuing to drive a vehicle in this state could result in catastrophic damages to the transmission that become more expensive to repair. To learn more, visit affordabletransmissionnc.com.
Ideally, vehicle owners should have their transmissions checked regularly, to ensure no performance issues are occurring and the fluid is at the right level and viscosity. Regular transmission maintenance will keep your vehicle’s transmission running at its optimum level. Schedule a transmission service appointment today to ensure no transmission issues arise that can prevent your vehicle from operating smoothly and safely.